Thursday, April 1, 2010

Garage Sales!

Friday, April 2, 2010

Before you get your Easter festivities off to a great start, why not hit up a couple of Garage sales?

My sister and I will be venturing out tomorrow, and we’ve mapped our route. Most cities ask that you apply for a Garage Sale permit before holding your sale. When you apply for the permit, you go into their system, and they log the date and times that you have input.

As a garage SALER, you can visit the cities’ websites and see everyone who has applied for a permit. You can see their address, the dates and times they are holding their garage sale, and in most cases, you can also see the items that they will be selling. Score!

Keep a few things in mind as you are shopping…1) how can I reuse, refinish, or repurpose this item? 2) what do I think is a fair price to pay for this item? 3) what items would be more beneficial to get at a garage sale than paying retail price for?

NEVER, EVER be afraid to negotiate! These people do NOT want to haul this junk back into their garages, nor do they want to make the trip to Goodwill with it. You will often find that some people KNOW what they’re doing and price their items to sell. It is very obvious when you approach a sale and things are ‘priced to stay’. Be aware, and don’t settle for the sticker price – offer a low-ball price, and see if you can meet them somewhere in the middle. You never know – you might get lucky and they accept your offer!

I have many items that I’ve found at garage sales that are now proudly displayed in my home from retail stores like Pier One and Lowe’s. I have no problem stripping the paint/stain and refinishing these items, or touching up the rough spots. It’s a treasure hunt and can be SO fun!

Also remember, Kohl’s is practically giving the store away right now. Not only do I have my $10 off any purchase coupon, but I also received email coupons for 15% and 20% off my purchase. With those combined, I can do some serious damage for very little expense. These coupons, and a BUNCH more were featured on Good Morning Texas on Thursday morning. Their sales are unbelievable and in conjunction with your coupons, you are sure to make out like a bandit!

Happy Easter! DO NOT FORGET to run up to your local retailer on Monday and stock up on Easter stuff for next year. Items will be 50% or more off of the previously marked prices.

No comments:

Post a Comment