Sunday, April 11, 2010

Trick or Treat?

Sunday, April 11, 2010

I just had a couple of random thoughts as I was going about my day…

Frozen bananas: Now that your baby is older, or you are planning ahead for when your baby can eat a few more solid things, pick up a bundle of fresh bananas. They are extremely inexpensive, around $.49 per pound, and babies think they taste like candy. Mash the bananas with a fork and dump them into the baby food jars/tubs that you have been saving. Pop ‘em into the freezer, and they stay VERY fresh-tasting! I usually thaw them in the microwave for about 30 seconds, and most of the banana is thaw, and some of it is frozen. Emily especially likes the frozen part, as it tastes like a popsicle. This is a great trick for teething babies and sore gums.

Other soft foods for growing babies: Where you used to puree all of your baby’s vegetables, they may be at the age where they can handle some solid vegetables. Steam a bag of peas, portion the peas out into the baby food jars/tubs that you’ve been saving, and freeze. When you’re ready to eat, pop them into the microwave for around 45 seconds, and sprinkle them onto your baby’s high chair tray. They will love the independence of picking the peas up for themselves, and you might have a few moments to start dinner or rinse some dishes.

Formula popsicles: If your baby is still young enough to drink formula, formula pops are great for a warm day outside, or for those sore gums. Most grocery stores sell popsicle molds very inexpensively, or you could always fill an ice cube tray. Simply measure the amount of liquid that the mold holds, and you will know how much powder to add to the water.

Washable dry mop: I used to use my Swiffer Wet Jet to mop the hard wood floors, and even the tile floors on occasion. The Swiffer Wet Jet pads are pricey, and I was going through about 3 pads a week, so I needed a new box of pads every time I turned around! Instead of continuing on with this, I decided to purchase a mop with a removable microfiber pad. I still purchase the Swiffer Wet Jet spray solution, but I bought a large squirt bottle at Dollar Tree. I empty the solution into my spray bottle, and spray the floors by hand. After I am finished mopping, the microfiber pad gets tossed into the washing machine and is dry by the next day. I don’t have to continue purchasing Wet Jet Pads, and I don’t have to replace the batteries on the Swiffer Wet Jet, which is GREAT because the messes are getting bigger!

No comments:

Post a Comment