Friday, March 19, 2010

Auctions!

Friday, March 19, 2010

Today’s blog is about something that I am only semi-familiar with, but I’d love to become an expert.

Let’s back up. I have very gracious friends who are often complimentary of my home’s furnishings and decorations. As I look around, I see NOTHING in my home that I have paid full price for. Of course, I have received beautiful gifts and lovely gestures and I have no idea what they cost. However, I DO know that I own nothing that didn’t come from Hobby Lobby, TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Ross, Target, Wal-Mart, Goodwill, The Salvation Army Store, or garage sales.

Having said all of this, I exclusively shop these discount venues and have made a beautiful home in the process.

I would like to try something new to add to my “shopping rounds”. I would like to try an auction. I received an e-mail from my Dad regarding auctions that storage companies have when their customers leave their belongings behind. Securlock Storage Center has set up an email notification system that allows members to receive emails about up-coming auctions that they will be holding. How fun and swanky does THAT sound?! I’d love to try it and I’ll definitely blog about my experience when I attend the auction. I will be very disappointed if I find that they are not auctioning off pre-owned merchandise for fair prices, given the situation. They explicitly state, on their home page, that they are able to hold auctions to free up more storage spaces in their facilities, and offer the public great deals on previously owned items.

Exciting! Who wants to go with me?!


Visit Lindsay Walker’s Piano and Voice Studio. You KNOW you want to!

2 comments:

  1. I heard a story on these storage auctions on NPR a few weeks ago. If you have time, you might check it out. It's an hour long program, but the part I'm talking about starts about 7 and a half minutes in, and lasts about 15 minutes.

    In a nutshell, sounds like they don't let you actually go through the stuff before you start bidding, you just get to glance from the doorway... so if there's valuables in sight (or not-so-valuables that you want anyway) then great! But... if it's just a pile of random stuff or a bunch of containers that you can't see the contents... who knows? I don't know if it's that way everywhere, but that's how it was in this story.

    Link:
    http://thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/399/Contents-Unknown

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mother in law goes to auctions around the DFW area every weekend. She always finds great steals. Most of the ones she goes to are where you can walk around, check out the merchandise before you buy it, I don't think she's done the storage units yet. Good luck with your first auction!

    ReplyDelete