Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Coupons: Part 2

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

This blog correlates with yesterday’s blog, and I hope to hear from you regarding your thoughts of the Nightline segment.

This tip stems from an experience that I had on a Sunday afternoon at Wal-Mart: I was in the check-out line behind two older women. The lady checking out was taking a particularly long time to move through the line and leave. Because of the length of time that she spent at the register, I began paying attention to what it was that she was doing.

Well, about 20 minutes later I figured out what was going on. I was frustrated and impatient, but I was also intrigued at the outcome of her shenanigans. She came to Wal-Mart completely prepared with everything that was on her list. She made notes in the margins of her list with the sale prices and the stores that were offering these prices. She presented these ads (from the Sunday paper) to the cashier and she honored each and every one of them. This was a tedious process, but she ended up saving nearly 50% of the cost of her trip. The cashier was so patient and friendly, and she encouraged me to try and do the same.

I have yet to try this technique myself, but I am excited to do so. This little-known technique will keep you from driving from store to store in order to find the best deals and complete your shopping list. Sounds like a winner to me!

1 comment:

  1. I've seen this done as well, and like you, I became frustrated because I was behind the person doing it, but their bill went from over $100 to around $60ish. It's an awesome idea to save on the already low prices that Walmart already presents. The only two down falls, is 1) if you go on a weekend or time frame when it's busy, not only do you get ticked off customers behind you, but 2) you run into a ticked off cashier. I've found going to Walmart in the early mornings, between 8:30-11am are better "shopping" times as it's less crowded and you have the first shift cashiers who haven't put up with too much B.S. yet.

    Love the blog, keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete