Saturday, March 20, 2010

Money-saving Tricks

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Good morning! Today’s blog is a hodge podge of just a few things that I have been doing lately to save myself money, and make my days easier.

When I start my day, I pack my husband’s lunch and I like to have SOME idea of what the dinner plan is. If something needs to be thawed or marinated, I start that process in the morning. With the use of PARCHMENT PAPER, I can make my dinner duties much easier. I bake fish, chicken, vegetables, cookies and oven fries on parchment paper. The greatest thing about parchment paper is that it is easy to tear, non-stick, and once you are finished baking on it, you toss it in the garbage and your dishes are done! The cookie sheet stays clean! Parchment paper is oven and microwave safe and makes my life SO much easier. I haven’t discovered a store-brand of parchment paper, but Reynolds makes a great product. It usually runs about $3 for a roll and the roll will last you quite a while. If you are going to check out the 99 Cents Only Store (see my blog from Monday, March 15th) I found my parchment paper for $.99 for 8 – 15in x 12in sheets! You will love how easy doing the dishes becomes when you use parchment paper.

I noticed that there were two things that we were purchasing regularly, that I could make myself and save a significant amount of money doing so.

The first of these items is pudding. I was putting a cup of pudding in my husband’s lunch every day, and Emily and I would share a cup of pudding on occasion. These packs of ready-to-serve pudding can run anywhere from $1.00 for (4) to $3.00 for (6). When those packages will only last you one week, you find yourself buying pudding every time you run to the store! So, I decided to buy store-brand instant pudding mixes, and make the pudding myself. You can either 1.) buy some tiny containers – I found mine at Target for $1.00 for a package of 9 or 2.) save baby food jars (glass or plastic) to be refilled with pudding. All you need is 2 cups of milk, and the package of pudding mix which runs less than $1.00.

Pay close attention to when your milk will expire, because the pudding will expire when the milk expires! I have found that I can make more pudding for significantly less money if I do the work myself. I can also control whether we are eating sugary or sugar-free pudding, and what kind of milk goes into the pudding to reduce the calories that are in each serving.

The second item that I have chosen to make myself is Gatorade. During the summer with yard work, softball, swimming, and playing, we seem to go through a lot of Gatorade! We usually purchase the largest bottle of Gatorade (one gallon) at Wal-Mart for around $4.00. When I began staying home full-time, we talked about cutting back on expenses such as this. I did a little price-comparing while I was shopping one day, and realized that I could keep the gallon bottle that I had purchased last time, and refill it with water and powdered Gatorade! A can of powdered Gatorade runs about $6.00 and makes about six gallons. So, I could have purchased six pre-made gallons of Gatorade for $24.00 or make my own Gatorade for $6.00. The powdered stuff tastes exactly the same and saves us a TON of money!

I’m sure that we do many things like this as we move through daily life. These are just a few of the most money-saving tricks that I implement on a weekly basis. This blog is not intended to get you thinking about pudding or Gatorade. It is designed to get you thinking about the things that YOU buy and how to save money on them!

1 comment:

  1. There are Reynolds coupons in the 3-21-10 Smart Source insert in the paper!

    ReplyDelete